Slime Mold: What Is It and Is It Dangerous?
What Is Slime Mold And Is It Dangerous?
If you’ve discovered a growth that looks like ooze, or maybe something from another planet, in your yard, your first instinct may be to panic. Your next is to take to Google and research the slimy patches, which is when you realize that you’re not dealing with something from another planet—rather, you’re dealing with lawn slime.
Outdoor mold is actually a very common problem, but one that humans largely ignore. It is not dangerous, but it is unsightly and more than a bit off-putting. If you want to know more about slime mold and how you can get rid of it, use this post as your guide.
A Few Things You Need To Know About Slime Mold
If you want to know how you can get rid of lawn mold, you need to first understand how, why and where it thrives. Here are some facts you need to know:
- This type of mold is a soil-dwelling amoeba and a brainless organism; it is neither plant nor animal.
- Lawn mold thrives off of dead organic matter, such as brush.
- Lawn mold thrives in moist, shaded areas.
- Slime mold works like regular mold—when you get rid of its food and water source, it will go away.
- Lawn mold is not dangerous.
Getting Rid of Lawn Slime
Though outdoor mold is not dangerous, it is unsightly to look at and unpleasant to touch. You can get rid of lawn mold fairly easily by taking the following actions:
- Dethatching your yard
- Reducing the frequency with which you water your lawn (at least in shady areas and until the mold has receded)
- Mowing your lawn to remove mold spores
- Manually removing mold patches and placing them in plastic bags
- Raking the areas where the mold is present and sprinkling them with baking soda, garlic or cornmeal
Lawn slime may be gross to deal with, but it’s not dangerous, and it’s easy to get rid of. If you don’t want to deal with the patches on your own, reach out to your Olympia, WA, mold remediation team to do the job for you.