Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
The last thing anyone wants to see when they walk through the door after a long day is water damage due to a small leak that has resulted in extensive damage to your floors, walls, and ceilings while you were gone. You might feel helpless and confused after a water loss. While waiting for a restoration team to arrive on the scene, here are a few tips on what you can do.
1. First, make sure your home or safe for you and your loved ones to be in.
2. Ensure that all electrical hazards and potential slipping situations are taken care of right away.
3. Materials and belongings affected by water can be heavy, use caution when trying to remove or lift those materials.
If you experience water damage, SERVPRO of Lacey is only one call away!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (360) 438-2066
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.